Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Greatest Analogy I've E'er Heard

Wrote this bad boy back in July, and it's as relevant as ever:

Props to my boss for this one. We met today so that I could tell him, "hey, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm moving."

Jefe (what I call him): Where? To Nashville?
Me: Nope
J: Toooo... Memphis?
Me: Nope
J: Tooo... [insert other random locale here]
Me: No.
J: I give up.
Me: C'mon, Jefe. This is easy. You can do it.
J: ....... ........ ............. Peru?
Me: Nailed it.

Following this moment in time was a long, heartfelt conversation filled with warm fuzzies and unicorn anecdotes. Joking, but it was a good conversation. I really respect and appreciate my boss. A lot. I  had to tell him soon because a) I have a crazy out-of-town schedule coming up and b) he'll need time to find someone to take my place.

SO, after telling him all the vacation business (I'll pretty much be gone for half of August and September) and asking, "whaaatt do we do with this?" we figured out a beautiful plan together that works well for all parties involved. It includes me staying through August, working part-time in September, helping train the noob, and then propelling forward into the world. And the Lord looked upon it and said, "it is good." I said, "I concur whole-heartedly."

Never one to not speak my mind (or use double negatives), I said to Jefe, "sometimes I feel like a crazy person. Like this is crazy, right? Exciting, but... crazy."

Then Jefe, in all of his infinite wisdom, looks off to the right corner of the room and wistfully begins to impart glorious knowledge upon my wandering mind, "You know... it's kind of like if you were to take a trip from Washington state to Florida. You know the direction that you're headed, but you probably don't know what roads you'll take once you get to Florida. However, you do have a general idea of how to get to Florida. Part of the joy is in what you'll discover on the way there."

So sage. I said, "That... is my new favorite analogy, and I will share it with everyone."

So, here you go, everyone. Even amid the unknowns, obstacles, and the which-door-will-I-take scenarios, I trust that this will work out. I'm setting my eyes on the Lord, and we're looking at Peru. Somehow, someway, we'll likely get there. At some point in time. Then, who knows what'll happen when I get there? Adventure, new doors, new friends, good times, hard times. One thing is for certain - God will be there. Just as much as He is here. That's reassuring, for sure.

I leave you with a physical representation of this glorious analogy, and a map of roughly the way that I would probably actually go if I were to drive from Washington to Florida...





No comments:

Post a Comment